Monday, April 14, 2014

The Blessings of Teaching

I was pleasantly surprised when I was offered to write for Sun Star’s Lifestyle Section.  Being an educator at Lamblight Catholic School, TV Host of GMA’s Isyu Subong Negrense and a mother of 2 wonderful children (yes, I may be biased), I knew this would be a great addition to my varied roles.  I got excited about being able to share my thoughts from the perspective of my simple life, with the hope that somehow it would bless you, our readers.

TV hosts & reporters of GMA Isyu Subong Negrense
Erwin Nicavera, Kat Valencia, myself and Stephanie Azucena
My column is entitled as such because this is my personal conviction.  I try to practice being grateful in every situation to the point of making it as natural as breathing. I aspire for this because I believe that being grateful is the key to happiness and to experiencing the fullness of life.

LCS Toddler students inspecting the growth
of their pechay as they study about plants.

One of the things that I am most thankful for is the blessing of finding my passion in educating children. During my first years of teaching, I was captivated by the charm of my 1-3 year old students.  Year after year, they have given me much joy and seeing them bloom into confident, loving, secure individuals with a healthy love for learning has given me much fulfilment.

LCS Toddlers watering their plants
As I involve myself more with the elementary and high school, I appreciate the school’s effort in finding the most effective ways in truly educating children and preparing them for life.  We are called an alternative school, using progressive education.  There is great respect for each individual and the school acknowledges that each child has a unique learning style and a special giftedness.  We make learning experiential for education to be more relevant to these children.


LCS students, the love and joy of Teacher Gretchen

It is in this little community that I find the miracles that I need to encourage me to keep on being grateful everyday, every moment, every breath.  Moments when I laugh with co-teachers about how adorable and funny our students are.  Moments when we get smothered by hugs and kisses (and we really do, every single day!).  Moments when I see children truly shining, truly growing, truly alive in their learning. 


At the shoot of GMA Isyu Subong Negrense at Bago City
Needless to say, no matter what challenges we are facing, there are countless blessings in our daily lives, if we only learn to be consciously aware and be appreciative of them. 

(Published for Sun Star Bacolod, Lifestyle Section, March 20, 2014)




No comments:

Post a Comment