Sunday, April 13, 2014

Loving Oneself

THROUGHOUT the year I struggle to find time for exercise, but with all the roles that I juggle as mom, teacher, entrepreneur and tv host, I could barely get to it.  So when summer break came around, I knew this was the very thing that I wanted to do because I knew how much I’ve been neglecting myself in this aspect.

After the end of the school year, I found myself looking at an empty planner and being able to wake up whenever I wanted.  This was definitely the luxury that I looked forward to after a productive school year, and I love it!

As always, whenever I’ve stopped exercise for a while, I had to condition my mind and push myself to enroll at the gym. 

Eclipse Gym's Work out Facility
Because I tend to get bored with one type of exercise done over and over again, Eclipse Gym has become the perfect solution for me because it offers an unlimited, all-access entry into their studio classes, spinning classes and the use of gym equipment for a flat rate of P1,800.  Not bad at all especially if you were to maximize the use of all the facilities!

Spinning Class with Instructor Mark
I had to try the latest craze in Bacolod, which is spinning. To get a slot in any of the classes, one has to come early to reserve a bike.  Spinning is just simply indoor cycling with variations that allow the different muscle groups to get a good workout too.  I find it very enjoyable with the pumping music and the laser lights, it actually feels like a party!  It also gives me a really good sweat, which is an indicator of a great workout for me as I’m not one to sweat easily.  They say an hour of spinning could burn from 600-900 calories!

I also tried out many of the classes such as yoga, trx, boot camp, taebo and zumba and I find that doing a variety of these classes keeps me wanting to go back everyday.

Yoga Class with Eclipse Gym's Manager & Yoga Instructor, Lally Arceo
For me, the thing that makes a workout effective and sustainable is when it is enjoyable, and that is the blessing that I’m experiencing now.  In yoga class, our instructor, Lally Arceo constantly reminds us to forget about everything and devote that hour to ourselves fully. It reminds me why I am doing this in the first place.  Being healthy and losing weight is a great benefit, but the thing that brings me there everyday is the experience of taking care of myself.


Boot Camp Class with Instructor Buddy
This mundane habit of going to the gym everyday is a big act of love and respect for myself.  In taking care of my body and my health, I am telling myself that I am worthy to be loved and cared for. 

Many times we get too busy with our daily affairs that we tend to neglect ourselves. But it is important to STOP...  and take time off everything that we are busy with to take care of ourselves  before any negative reminder like sickness comes around.


As Stephen Covey's 7th habit says, "Sharpen the Saw".  Stopping to take care of ourselves makes us more effective and more efficient so it is important to do this once in a while.


Eclipse Gym's Bar & Lounge Area
Just as there are different love languages, there are  different ways we need to be loved.  Some of us need to rest, to pray, to go on a retreat, to get a doctor's checkup, or to read a good book.  Whatever it is you need to do for yourself, go ahead and do it.  Love yourself today!

(Published for Sun Star Bacolod, Lifestyle Section, April 24, 2014)

No comments:

Post a Comment