Saturday, August 30, 2014

The Beautiful Gift of Breastfeeding

WHEN my children were much younger, one of the things that I really enjoyed about motherhood was breastfeeding.  It is a special kind of emotional activity that cements a mother and child relationship right from the very start.  It creates a special kind of attachment that makes the two inseparable. 

My Happy, Healthy, Breastfed Babies
During that time, I made it my main preoccupation.  I was at their disposal 24/7.  I breastfed every three hours and I stored excess milk for times when I needed to be away.  I was obsessive compulsive about my milk storage.  I placed them on little plastic containers that had dates on them.  First In First Out was the rule. 

There was even a time when my stored milk supply was filling up our freezer that I was able to donate breast milk through a breastfeeding advocate who hooked up mommies who had excess milk supply with mommies of babies who were sick and could not breastfeed for some reason.  My milk went to a baby boy with congenital heart disease.  Sadly, he didn’t make it and eventually went to heaven, God bless him.

Breastfeeding meant bringing my children wherever I went.  For me, this was the fun part!  They got to travel, run errands and do grocery with me.  This may be a hassle for some, but since I’m the kind of person who likes having loved ones nearby, I enjoyed it!  I had my trusty baby sling and it was strike anywhere for us. 

At first it was awkward having people stare at you but eventually I didn’t care. My baby was hungry and we had to do what was necessary at that moment.  It also helps a lot that many of the malls now have breastfeeding rooms where moms could breastfeed comfortably.

These are all just MY emotional benefits of breastfeeding as a mother.  For the child, I feel that they become a more secure and confident individual. 

There’s also the invaluable health benefit of building in them a strong immune system.  I notice that my second child who breastfed much longer, is less likely to catch a virus as compared to all of us in the household.

To celebrate the beautiful gift of breastfeeding during this National Breastfeeding Awareness Month of August, the Bacolod Mom & Baby Club (BMBC) and the Institute for Negros Development (IND) has organized a half-day breastfeeding activity called Hakab Na Bacolod 2014.  This will be on Saturday, August 2, 2014 from 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM at the Santuario de la Salle.  The event seeks to promote the importance of providing proper support to all breastfeeding Filipino mothers and families.

This will be held in coordination with the Big Latch On – an annual breastfeeding event where moms gather at registered locations around the world and latch on simultaneously at 10:30 AM.  Last year, there were 14,536 mothers at 845 different locations in 28 countries all over the world.

BMBC Founding Members (Photo Credits: Jireh Poquita)
Breastfeeding moms gathered at Aristocrat, Manila in 2013
(Photo Credits: Keysi Nunez)
Moms and Babies of Cagayan de Oro,
organized by Mommy Bright Side (Photo Credits: Meg Gabe) 
This year, they plan to beat the numbers as the event will be participated in and represented by Bacolod, Manila, Cebu, Davao, Cagayan de Oro and Iloilo. 

Here, moms will get to meet and interact with other breastfeeding moms.  There will be various activities and it will be a fun event for the whole family! 

The good news is, registration for this event is free!  All they have to do is text the following information to 0922-4846708: Mothers name, Child’s name and age, mobile number and email address.  Participants may also check updates posted on BMBC’s Facebook page:http://www.facebook.com/bacolodmomandbabyclub.

(Published for Breathing Gratitude, Sun Star Lifestyle Section on July 31, 2014)

No comments:

Post a Comment